Super Simple Rig is a custom rig for 3ds Max I have been developing since 2008, and that I am using on all my character projects. Not satisified with the built-in 3ds Max character rigs, I decided to program my own simple and easy-to-use custom rigging system. I wanted something with minimal setup and high framerates that was simple to use. I've kept upgrading it for every new character project I've done, and I've just received a grant to add more functions and release it to the public.
Drag the file from your download folder into 3ds Max, and the install should start automatically. Make sure the file has a .mzp extension before start installing. Check out the video tutorial page for a demo of the installation.
Proper documentation will come later, but here's a quick start:
1. Open Super Simple Rig Builder.
2. Give your character a name.
3. Click "Create Locators" to create the rig locator objects for your character. This is where your rig will be built.
4. Move the locator objects so that the skeleton fits inside your character.
5. Use the buttons inside the "Rig Position Tools" rollout to mirror or straighten your locators.
6. Change the presets inside the "Rig Creation Options" rollout to define your rig.
7. Click "Build Rig", and your rig is ready.
8. Bind your character to the bones in the "Skinning Bones" layer.
9. Your controllers are in the "Controllers" layer, but can be accessed using the "Super Character Selector" window. The controllers are shape objects, so set your Selection Filter to "Shapes" for a faster workflow - use the "filter" button in the Selector as a shortcut.
10. Check out the custom attributes in the modifier panel for more controls.