Redux Paint for iPad
I've been wanting to get into creating C64 artwork again, it's a great combination of technical challenge and pure painting joy. Working with the limited resolution and palette gives an almost zen-like state of mind for me. But I want to paint relaxing in my couch with my iPad Pro, and not in front of my workstation at the office. I've been learning Python, and when I discovered the incredible Pythonista, this seemed to be perfect learning project!
Redux Paint (a play on the name of the legendary Deluxe Paint for the Amiga), is a work in progress and incomplete in many ways. But if you want to try it out, you can download the program from GitHub. Who knows, I might be able to make this into a proper app in the future.
Download and installation
The editor is written in Python using Pythonista for iPad. You need Pythonista installed on your iPad to run the code. Just dump the script files into the Pythonista iCloud folder, and off you go!
Here is some of the functionality I have been able to build:
- Interface similar to Deluxe Paint.
- PNG, Koala and PRG export.
- CRT emulated image can be exported to the Camera Roll.
- Configurable levels of Undo and Redo.
- Zoom mode.
- CRT emulated preview while drawing.
- Dark or light grids, with two levels of transparency.
- Color clash checker.
- Show chars with available colors.
- PNG import.
- Protect single color or draw on single color.
More features to come...
Here are some of the images I have done while developing and testing Redux Paint.